Monday, January 18, 2010

Antique frame

One of my Google searches for a frame design gave me this pattern with newspaper rolls. I have this habit of saving good pictures from the net as and when I see them. It was recently when I found this Ravi Varma painting card at Gangaram’s in M.G.Road, that I remembered the framing idea I’d long back saved.
The first step was to make an octagon base with cardboard. To make the base stronger, I’ve used an idea suggested by Neil Buchanan of Art Attack (I am a regular viewer and a big fan of this show. In fact, I never get tired of watching the same episodes over and over again! :) ). He has this technique of hardening any base with tissue paper and PVA glue + water mixture. Instead of PVA glue, I’ve used normal fevicol. And it really worked! The dried product had just the right thickness and strength that I needed. The plain surface now even had a texture to it. The only time consuming process in this was rolling newspapers and cutting them out to match the edges of the cardboard base underneath. Once all pieces of newspaper roll were stuck into position, painting both sides didn’t take much long. Since I had this Ravi Varma painting in mind, I’ve used a combination of metallic colors that go well with the painting. To make the picture stay in position, I’ve created U-shaped hook-like pieces with cardboard and stuck them behind in such a way that a long newspaper roll runs almost the entire length of the frame through the hooks, thus supporting the picture. And…like always, I’ve given the frame a final coat of varnish for that added glow!

No comments:

Post a Comment