Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Worli paintings


Our visit to an art and craft exhibition inspired me to make something out of Worli paintings. Back at home I started my research on Worli paintings and found quite a dozen images on the internet. Worli paintings are usually done on a brick red background with the characters and other elements in white. From the paintings I found on the net, I did a mix & match and chose some characters with 2 themes in mind – marriage and village life. Most of the paintings include a human-chain in either spirals, or curves or even a straight line. I've included them in each of my paintings in an "S-shape". This forms the major part of my painting. Unlike some other painting styles, I found Worli paintings to be comparatively easier to do and still contain a whole lot of meaning to it. My favorite among these two paintings is the one on their social lives; in addition to reflecting their simple lives, it also has a lot of women involved in various activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment