Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Own Letter Box at Home

I opened my own savings account at home, without having to walk into any bank branch and without filling up any form! A little help from Neil was all that I needed. :D
I had this project in mind when I visited my parents in Kerala. Luckily for me, I found an old, empty Pringles tin there along with my mother’s collection of “additional” utensils. Once I was back at home, I started working on it. There were not many steps to creating this letter box. It only required making a slot to push the money through and some corrugated sheet for the base. The top of the letter box is a newspaper ball carefully stuck to the lid of the tin. After taping everything securely into position, the next step was covering the tin and lid separately in 1-2 layers of paper mache (fevicol + tissue paper pieces). When completely dry, I painted the top portion and the corrugated sheet at the bottom black and red for the middle portion. There seemed to be some mistake in the coloring and I went and checked my nephew’s little metal letter box that he recently got. And then I found my mistake…the top portion was supposed to be red and not black like I’d done. I made the correction the very next day and gave it 2-3 coatings of red and black. A black band made of newspaper separated the top and middle portions later on. And there it is…my very own savings account at home, and I’ve already transferred my Vishu savings to this! :)

Check out the original version by Neil Buchanan here

http://www.hitentertainment.com/ARTATTACk/pocketmoneybox.html

2 comments:

  1. Great! Smitha. I am happy to see things coming out of you for the world to see. I knew you are different. Keep it UP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement Sreekumar chetta :) and sorry about this late reply!

      Delete