Sunday, August 18, 2013

Terracotta Jewellery


I’d bought a pair of terracotta earrings while on a visit to the annual Dastkar exhibition. That was a very pretty orange and green jhumka. I loved the fact that these are completely hand-made and was looking forward to attend some such class. After almost a year, I came across this one-day workshop on terracotta jewellery and immediately registered myself. 

This is what I made at the workshop. These are not fully done since they have not been baked! They are still wearable, but not during rains! ;-)

I enjoyed making these, but was kind of bored by the time I started painting it, maybe because it was after 2.5yrs that I was holding the paint brush, or maybe because it was after a long time that I was spending so much time on one thing alone (thanks to my very active toddler! :D). 

But finally, I am a little hesitant to do any more of these. Why?
  • For procuring this clay you have to go all the way to pottery town (not sure where exactly that is!)
  • The clay has to be filtered, which is a cumbersome process, taking many days
  •  For cost-effectiveness, it is better that you make a big batch of beads, pendants, earrings, etc.
  •  For baking the moulded shapes, you have to again go to pottery town. And once again to collect them once baked.

I don’t think I have the patience to still pursue this form of jewellery making, but I sure did get some ideas which if successful, will definitely be posted in this blog! :)

1 comment:

  1. it was awesome.. can u tell me how did u make it?? plzz..imsoo cachy will pick up soon

    ReplyDelete