Friday, September 13, 2013

My experiments in tailoring


A vacation to my hometown during Dec2012-Jan2013 proved productive, thanks to Sr.Preethi of Lourde Tailoring Institute. She taught me the art of tailoring, particularly churidars and blouses. With that knowledge and a new Poonam double machine, back in Bangalore, I began experimenting with other dresses. Initially I started converting my old churidar tops into sleeveless shirts for my toddler. Since stitching them for him meant lesser fabric and lesser time, I considered beginning with these as a very good learning experience. Once I’d stitched close to a dozen of them, I moved to this style of jubba. Onam was nearing and I wanted him to have a mommy-made Onakodi :) The first few jubbas were of the type where you put it over the head. Since that was not much of a success, I decided to try the front open types. They looked good; the only problem though was getting him to let me try it on! He was totally adamant about not trying them and thus I kept repeating the same mistake in each of these. The mistake – the armpit measurement and sleeve width had to be a little loose. :( Anyways, I did force the golden one on him for his auntie’s wedding :) Pity him, he was just waiting to get out of it, kept telling “Amme kai novunnu...ooru ooru”(translation: “my hand is hurting, remove remove”)! Paavam :( Hmmm, there’s always a next time. I’ve already bagged a few orders from my jeeju and father-in-law! Thank you for encouraging me :D
















2 comments:

  1. That is so great! I think that it is really wonderful to know tailoring, as you will be able to create cloth that you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi..thank you so much for the message :) I just happened to check my blog after all these years!!

      Delete